Embossing Folders, Michael Powell stamps, Ribbons

Experiments with colour

I really wasn’t happy with the colouring job I did on the Michael Powell stamped image I included in the second Tinsel Tuesday card I blogged yesterday. (Yes I know it’s only just gone midnight … But I am still awake and this post was pretty much ready to publish!!!)

The card topper I made did sort of rescue the poor colouring, but I was not happy. So I decided to stamp the image again a few times and experiment with colouring it in!

I stamped all of them in Smoky Slate so that the line art didn’t interfere with the colouring too much and wasn’t too bold. I’m not keen on dark lines for line art.

I pulled out the Promarkers first and decided to try to match the colour scheme (ish) on the illustration on the stamp.

20140124-230158.jpg
Once I finished colouring I added some stickles to the moon and stars and the fairy lights. Then I mounted this with a combination of the Coastal Cabana & Strawberry Slush. For all of the cards I made I embossed the background using a text Merry Christmas embossing folder, and then mat and layered with either the same or similar cardstock and included ribbons and in some cases a bit of bling too! I love the fresh and different look to this!

Next I went for a grey toned one. I mat this with Basic Black & Basic Grey.

20140124-230504.jpg. This time the only change is that I added silver stickles to the fairy lights and clear stickles on the moon and stars. I did change the positioning for the card topper on the cards I made, but kept the recipe fairly similar.

Next I tried for a sepia look … Not sure it was 100% successful.

20140124-230817.jpg
Once I had mounted it all up though and with the glitzy ribbon I quite like it. I also used champagne stickles on this one to tone more with the colour scheme.

I decided to now move onto different colouring mediums … To varying successes!

20140124-230955.jpg
this was using Aquamarkers. Now I don’t have a great number of these and they are all very bright in colour. I don’t use them often and it turns out am not particularly good at using them either. Suspect watercolour paper would have been a much better idea! Same goes for the next one too!

20140124-231125.jpg
This I used the SU inks and an aqua painter to apply the colour. Whilst it was easier to control than the Aquamarkers and the end result is better, the paper did warp a lot, and probably would have been better trying it on watercolour paper instead.

So did I save the best till last?

20140124-231330.jpg

I used some Derwent watercolour pencils to colour this in and added the lightest of washes with an aqua painter at the end just to blend slightly! I do like this one and the first one the best I think, although think I did a good job on the grey toned one too!

Now of course I wasn’t making Christmas cards in bulk this year … And oops just because of one colour experiment I’ve ended up with an additional six cards! Oops a daisy! Ah well …. Pleased with this and did have lots of fun colouring in for a change!

Happy crafting!

Catherine

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s