Needed to create … Stepped up my Swallowtail!

So I came home from my hols yesterday and last night needed to create something! I faffed around with the bits and pieces on my desk and then randomly grabbed the Swallowtail stamp, some linen cardstock (because it was there!) and the first colour that came to hand … Summer Starfruit!

I then used some Calypso Coral, Baked Brown Sugar, Bermuda Bay & Crisp Canteloupe and watercolouring brush to add some pattern and detail. I also did an outline of Smoky Slate to make it pop from the page.

20140416-101347.jpg

Next I decided to cut the swallowtail out as a panel, and mount it onto some Bermuda Bay & Basic Grey. I also did an outline of theSmoky Slate as a watercolour to the edge of the white panel to keep the same type of theme going. At this point I decided to step it up. What I mean by this is to add an extra effect and make it more special. So I dug out my perfect pearls and with water added some iridescent sheen to the wings. I used mainly a cream coloured perfect pearl, but also a bit of a blue where the Bermuda Bay was to give a slightly different look.

20140416-154853.jpg

Pretty special looking … Oh yes. Next I wanted to give the body of the butterfly some dimension so I used a champagne liquid pearl with an edge of champagne stickles to create a raised body.

20140416-155325.jpg

Now I was pretty happy that my topper was as good as I was going to get it. I decided that as it was quite a big topper … 5.5″ x 4.5″ I needed to make a big card with it and not just stick it onto a 6×6 card. So I took another piece of 7×7 white linen card and stamped the Swallowtail randomly in the same colours and softened the image with the watercolour technique. I added the same colours as in the main image but kept the colour wishy washy. Next I stamped all over with the Woodgrain background stamp in Baked Brown Sugar, then added some splodges and text from French Foliage and some dots from Gorgeous Grunge in Crisp Canteloupe & Basic Grey. Then I finished it with some Calypso Coral ink to define the edge.

I put the background sheet on the 8×8 card blank at a wonky angle, then the topper also wonky, with a doily underneath to soften it a little. Then pulled some paper flower embellishments out of my box of bits, and a button and some twine to finish off!

20140416-160031.jpg

So proud of this card. I made such an effort with each bit of the card… Think I could get used to creating these bigger cards rather than lots of little cards like I normally do! It was satisfying to think of how I could improve what I was doing rather than just accepting it as it was. Think this may eventually be my Mum’s birthday card… Although as her birthday is not until August will have to remember where I put it when I put it in a safe place! Lol!

Happy crafting!

Catherine

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s