So my friend Chris has started me off on a new craze… collaged arty till roll! It’s such an interesting medium to play with as it’s quite strong and then when heat is applied it reacts to the heat and turns black… apart from where the collage medium has been applied.
Here is my first length I have created…
Apologies for the dodgy video but it was the best way I could think of showing it off.
This is a collage of some of the stills…
The collage materials I just pulled from my box of bits with little care and attention as to what they were… mainly focussed on thinner substrates though as the idea is to still be able to roll the till roll back up until ready to use it. I also included washi tapes I thought would be interesting too! So lots of strange and different pieces of printed materials going on. The stamps I just grabbed ones to hand and used a variety of inks as I didn’t know what would be best… so there are versafine, archival and oxides at play… all of which created different effects.
Once I rolled it back up you can see it’s got some interesting textures going on.
Anyway I decided to chop up this first length to be able to use it in some projects. The first project I used this section…
And added to to a large tag I had added paint and found object stamping to.
I added a little bit of additional doodling and then the wooden love title and decided this was done.
It was so nice to add this ready collaged and interesting piece onto the tag… Made it into something very different from anything I’ve made before.
I’ve got a few other projects I’ve made with this first strip which I will share over the next few days… but for now enjoy this mixed media tag!
Another day, another watercolour tutorial… do you get the impression I am obsessed? They require very little resources or space to play with, which is an issue whilst I am WFH at the moment… hence they keep getting played with.
Anyway this time it was the highland cow one from Elle Smith Art tutorial.
Not sure I got the fluffy hair on his forehead right but still love how it turned out!
Chris challenged us to use tickets and tags in some way as a journalling project. I slightly veered off the brief as it was meant to be expandable, but mine is just a little book…. But I used tags on every page so I think it’s close enough to the brief!
I decided to make the whole thing using gelli prints, and stash from the box of bits I have that included some preprinted quotes and some random bits of stash. So no new bits were really used. I also only used 1 stamp throughout which was the ticket stamp… very rare for me, but there was so much pattern going on with the gelli prints there was no need to add much more!
So here is a little video flip through… and then I have detailed pics later..
I started by having a good time gelli printing… mostly onto bookprint, but also some random scraps of paper too.
This gave me enough to cover the pages of the little journal signature and some tags from the stash…
Next I set to with 4 posca pens, an grey Pitt pen and some ink for edging and adding colour (black soot distress ink, black archival ink, peacock feathers distress oxide) and some scraps of book print or cream card and made each page up. I did each page as an individual page so although the patterns and colours repeat across the journal, each page has its own identity.
Super happy with this little project. Each page is 5×5 inches so similar to card front size I usually work on but nice to create with no specific aim and get a bit grungey!
Was also good to use some bits up I’ve had in a box for ages… the box however is still very full! Maybe I need to do more projects where I restrict myself to using stuff from the stash boxes and I might actually get them used up!
So that’s my project I’ve been making this Easter weekend whilst staying home. I am very glad my mojo came out to play and distract me. My anxiety has been kept at bay as I’ve avoided the news for 2 whole days! Now to eat some chocolate!
So the reality is that my craft desk is now my work desk so suspect there will be less crafting going on for the next few weeks but to keep my creative side satisfied I decided to do an index card every work day just using supplies that are to hand.
Here are the first 5 I made…
All made with papers I had cleared off the desk to make room for the laptop and a few random bits off the shelves.
Fun and a small creative outlet just to keep my mind sane.