As promised here is the scrap page I actually finished to share with you! As the hubby and I have clashes on Wednesday, once a month he cancels his plans very kindly to let me go to Helen’s class. Unfortunately like a completely numpty I forgot to tell him this month and we only realised the error on Tuesday. So instead of attending the class like normal, I took the princess along so I could pick up my kit and do the die cutting where I didn’t have the appropriate dies, whilst one of my other friends entertained the princess. So it was a brief visit to class, then home for bedtime for the princess. Once she was in bed, and I had eaten some tea, I headed to the craft room to start on the kit. I figured if I didn’t start straight away, it would probably languish in a bag for quite some time!
Helen had made the samples for the class using the papers from last years catalogue as the class was using brand new papers and they weren’t delivered in time for her to make up the samples. This meant that her inspiration was already going to be different from my page… So for once we were all doing something a little different. The reality is that this was far more of a sketch challenge and Helen also suggested that the technique we ought to think about was doodling!
So her sample looked like this…
I love the way the die cuts fall behind layers or off the page and was immediately taken by the thin circles… I will definitely be using this idea again of using dies inside dies at the point of cutting them. Admittedly the magnetic platform does make this much easier but still… I love these thin circle die cuts.
So I got the kit out, and grabbed the papers Helen had suggested we use for the page. The papers we had for this months kit were from the new catalogue Confetti Celebration. Boy are they bright! There is also a new In Color in these papers; Tangelo twist. This is such a fabulous zingy colour! I love it!
Unfortunately I didn’t check my kit whilst I was with Helen and I was missing the base 12×12 cardstock … So I raided my own plentiful stash … And plumped for some Smoky Slate cardstock which goes well as the papers also have Basic Grey in them.
I cut pieces based on the picture of Helen’s layout, and then did a bit of stash shopping! This is actually the plus side of not staying at the class… I could add in bits and pieces from my own stash at the design stage. But I still would have preferred to stay of course!
This is a rubbish pic I know, but I always take a pic of how I think I want it to look now before I start to stick anything down. I have a memory like a sieve and if I don’t and I move the pieces off to stick the lower ones down, I can never remember how they were! This was I get an idea of what it was I was doing. I am not saying I stick to it, but it means I get something close to what I had originally been happy with!
So then I started sticking everything down. Pieces of the DSP got the inking treatment. Most of them were inked using Basic grey and the pennant with Pistachio Pudding. I also inked the edge of the 12×12 and the photo mount to tone it in! I kept the Tangelo Twist pieces without inking though.
I remembered Helen’s suggestion about doodling. I drew some faux stitching onto the two white circles I was using to journal on. I had dropped Helen’s flowers idea in favour of Mickey Mouse heads as it fit with the theme better. I also grabbed my White gel pen and used that for doodling on the white thin circles and the arrows. I also outlined the photo in white to make it pop a bit more.
I chose some letter stickers for my title as I hadn’t been able to use Helen’s new alpha dies whilst at the class as I had no idea what my title would be. Having said that, I actually love the stickers I chose, and they went well even if they weren’t actually SU colours – they were close enough for me!