So this year I have decided to challenge myself to make a set of cards, scrapbook page or journal layout using each of my stamp sets as I know I have some I rarely use!
This week’s grab was the Dictionary stamp and I must admit I started this a while ago but it is a good way of showing what I use this stamp for the most…
Thought it was time to share this page in my journal. This time a double spread I worked on over the last few weeks.
The starting point shown above was using the Dictionary stamp with Watering can archival in random sections. This is not the most exciting start to a page but rather than work on a blank page it just helps to have something there to start with and a text stamp like this is perfect for creating something on the spread… a nice first layer.
I decided to start this page with distress inks as I wanted to see the quality of the paper taking the inks in the Dylusions journal. I used Fossilised Amber, Abandoned Coral, Spiced Marmalade and Fired Brick and used the blending tool to blend the colours till the pages were covered. Then I made a mask from some paper to make a starburst effect and sprayed water. It worked slightly better on the right from the left… but it is barely visible.
Next I took a stripes stencil and added some more Fired Brick through it in a few areas. Then I used the Matt Gel Medium through a Paperartsy stencil. It’s difficult to see that in the photo above… Here is a close up…
Again not the easiest thing to see but still adds another layer of interest to the final piece.
Next I added the a dictionary stamping again. This time using the fired brick distress ink. I then put a stencil over the page and added water through to take some colour away. This is the lighter dots. I also added some sticker trim which has a plastic feeling to the finish which means it resists ink etc, but it was ok with some of the paints I added later.
I also added some subtle grunge paste texture with a purple tint to it. I also added some stencilling with ink and the dot fade stencil (I love this stencil!)
I then grabbed the Alphabet embossing folder, added some seedless preserve ink to it and a spritz of water and used it as a stamp in some random areas. Then decided it was time to go back to the Dictionary stamp and emboss. I chose white detail powder but it also had a bit of frantage mixed in with it so there are some gold bits too.
Next it was time to add paint. I used a deep purple and some dark red to add some darker sections on the page and rubbed paint off the embossing and some of the sticker trim to ensure some white still shows through.
I decided I wanted to try an image transfer using a photograph I found that I think is of my grandfather with his parents and siblings but could be wrong. I scanned the copy of the picture I have (not brilliant quality I have to admit) and then printed it onto acetate. Then I tried on both Tyvek and Canvas the satin glaze transfer technique Darcy had taught us in Edinburgh and I hadn’t really done a brilliant job of it.
Neither came out well (this is the canvas one in the process). Both came out very patchy. But as I don’t have a huge amount of acetate in the stash decided to go with the Tyvek one layered on the canvas.
I coloured the canvas piece with distress stain in Fossilised Amber and Spiced Marmalade and also did a few other strips of the canvas in the same. I also grabbed a small piece of scrap paper and ripped it into strips to collage onto the pages too.
Of course I was so busy creating I forgot photos at this point. I wanted to add more of the Frantage so I added that in little puddles randomly round the page. Heating it was a bit of a hilarious affair though as it wasn’t really adhered and blew everywhere resulting in a big clean up job for me…. again!
Next I added a little bit of Pitt pen in brown to the edges of the paper and the Tyvek. I love how the Tyvek curled as it was heated when the frantage was melting.
I added some journalling using a black pen and found three stickers in the Tim Holtz Chit chat set that worked as my title.
I love all the texture and colour on this page and how it came out. I would have preferred a better transfer for the image but it worked well enough for the page… After all this is just for me.
Hope you like this. I can’t see me getting rid of the Dictionary stamp. It’s just too useful as a background stamp.