Following on from the inchies I made and shared a couple of days ago I also made a sunflower ATC using the rest of the embellishments from the stash…
I added them to a distress oxide background that I had added some gorgeous grunge stamping. I also added a printed sentiment and some sequins.
The second flower based ATC I made was very different in style. This one I stamped and watercoloured using watercolour pencils and then embossed the sentiment on top.
A very simple but pretty ATC.
Love how different they both are.
I had this square box which a kit from Stampin Up came in a number of years ago and until recently have been storing scraps and playing cards in it which were for my 365 atc challenge of 2017 and 52 playing card challenge (which I didn’t finish) for 2018. Well I decided to sort it out and get rid of scraps and sort out the playing cards in it.
I tipped out all the contents and then had the idea of redecorating the box and turning it into the box I use for storing things I make for swaps before they head out … that way I can keep track of them. So rather than throwing away all of the scraps I used a random selection to cover the entire lid of the box. This is following the Nina Ribena idea of transforming junk into art.
I then added a thin layer of gesso to the whole box and this helps to knock back the mishmash of papers.
So next step was to start adding colour to it.. I chose magenta and ultramarine fluid acrylics for this and added them over the top of the box. Then using distress crayons and neocolors I defined some of the elements. And then started Stamping using white gesso and as well as the fluid acrylics. I had in mind at this point the moodboard that Nina Ribena had shared for her first week challenge… the top left in particular and the blue on the right mixed with the pink flower on the bottom.
My magenta might be a tad more red, but this is what I was thinking of with my colour choices.
Next I decided to get some woodchip letters for the title on the box… And added some distress oxide and some embossing to give them texture.
I carried on with some doodling and more definition on the edges of the panels and then stamped the Clare Lloyd sentiment to go with the swaps letters.
Super happy with how this looks now it’s finished. And happy to be able to keep swaps all in one place until they go out to their new homes.
Thanks for the inspiration Nina… I actually think I might have hit three of the four weeks of challenges with this project … mood board, scraps and junk! Not bad for an impromptu project clearing out my desk.
Today I have some bunting to share which is for the UK stampers forum swap. The theme for this swap is Monochrome, so I went for the turquoise colours as my monochrome.
I stamped the beach hut from Marlene using the archival inks and then used distress crayons to watercolour the image. I also added some ink blending round the edge and a little bit of stamping to provide some texture. I then splattered the art alchemy sparks paints to give it some shimmer. Next I added the hand stamped sentiment and edged it with some Inktense.
I love this image and the gentle finish this bunting had.
It’s been a fun swap to get involved in and I’ve loved creating the flags and receiving some fun bunting in return.
A what? A Just Add More swap! Still no idea… neither did I but the lovely Pat guided us through it.
First I cut three ATC and then did a background on each being careful to not go too far with them….
Then I posted them to the next person who got to add stamping and features etc.
And at this point I got three backgrounds made by the lovely Bev to decorate. Here they are as they arrived with me…
Just love all that colour!
And here is how they ended up before I sent them onto Lou to finish them off…
Next I received the cards Lou had decorated the background on, and then Bev had worked on… they looked like this…
And I finished them off adding my own little elements to each…
And finally got my cards back that had transformed into these fab pieces of art!
These were a fun project to work on … Super hard not to go too far with each layer you were working on though!
Another day… another swap project to share. This time inchies.
I kept these simple… distress crayons in the background with a little wiped away through a stencil … very subtle.
The used a stamp from Badass artchick stanps to stamp the play and scribble circle. Then some dots of sparks paint and enamel accents to add texture.
And here they are in natural light
Simple but cute inchies!
Today I have a journal page I’ve had “in progress” for a long time…. probably over a year in fact waiting for me to find the perfect finishing touch. And it turned out these vintage photo printouts I had were It!
Once I fussy cut them out and stuck them down I knew straight away I was happy with the page and with a few Tim Holtz stickers the page was done!
So the page was gelatos and distress crayons and black gesso and transluscent texture paste and bits of book print in the background… I think that pretty much covers it although also may have added some pencil shading and outlining too. Oh and white paint pen doodling too.
Sometimes you just need to have patience and wait for the perfect element to present itself!
Entering this into the Anything Mixed media goes challenge at Creative Artiste mixed media blog.
On Sunday I treated myself to a few hours of play in my art journal… here is the result.
I videoed the process which you can check out on YouTube. It really wasn’t going to plan at one point with the page disintegrating but I pulled it back from the brink and happy with the results.
Love the bright colours and fun textures I achieved and most of all enjoyed playing with paint and paper.
Love love love playing with no agenda.