Another circle journal to share with you today, this time for Tricia.
It is a lovely Kraft background to work on so I decided to go for a white gesso messy background.
In addition to the gesso dry brushing I added some stamping in white craft ink. I used a mixture of stamps from Hot Picks and this gave me a nice finish.
Next I started pulling papers and ribbons from my stash and putting them together as I fancied a layered piece and plenty of sewing. So out came the sewing machine.
Then I got the Neocolours out and added some shading and definition to the layers and added some details.
Next I started bringing together the focal images and started building up the pages. I decided to add images from the stamped fabric stash from our weekend with James Sharpe. I think Tricia (who I was lucky enough to sit opposite all weekend) would appreciate seeing me using them.
I also grabbed tags from an Artful Days kit and added them in, but before they made it into the final pages I added distress inks to change the colour a little. I also decided to add some more details to the layers with a bit of stamping and added some shimmery watercolour to add a different texture, oh and I moved things round a little on the final pages so that Albert was on the other side!
Next I added rub ons and sentiment stickers to the page. I also added some splattered black soot distress ink and some white pen marks.
And then I grabbed the black puffy paint and added some dots around the pages as embellishments. And I called it finished!
Love how eclectic this is and love that white background behind the pop of lime and teal colours.
Also love all the loose threads that come from me being a messy sewer and the loose edges to the layers. Those rub ons also work well in keeping the layers light and fresh.
Hopefully Tricia likes what I made too… and now it is time for me to start work on the next journal.
I had this square box which a kit from Stampin Up came in a number of years ago and until recently have been storing scraps and playing cards in it which were for my 365 atc challenge of 2017 and 52 playing card challenge (which I didn’t finish) for 2018. Well I decided to sort it out and get rid of scraps and sort out the playing cards in it.
I tipped out all the contents and then had the idea of redecorating the box and turning it into the box I use for storing things I make for swaps before they head out … that way I can keep track of them. So rather than throwing away all of the scraps I used a random selection to cover the entire lid of the box. This is following the Nina Ribena idea of transforming junk into art.
I then added a thin layer of gesso to the whole box and this helps to knock back the mishmash of papers.
So next step was to start adding colour to it.. I chose magenta and ultramarine fluid acrylics for this and added them over the top of the box. Then using distress crayons and neocolors I defined some of the elements. And then started Stamping using white gesso and as well as the fluid acrylics. I had in mind at this point the moodboard that Nina Ribena had shared for her first week challenge… the top left in particular and the blue on the right mixed with the pink flower on the bottom.
My magenta might be a tad more red, but this is what I was thinking of with my colour choices.
Next I decided to get some woodchip letters for the title on the box… And added some distress oxide and some embossing to give them texture.
I carried on with some doodling and more definition on the edges of the panels and then stamped the Clare Lloyd sentiment to go with the swaps letters.
Super happy with how this looks now it’s finished. And happy to be able to keep swaps all in one place until they go out to their new homes.
Thanks for the inspiration Nina… I actually think I might have hit three of the four weeks of challenges with this project … mood board, scraps and junk! Not bad for an impromptu project clearing out my desk.
So I am officially loving #ajss2018 and the first few lessons that were released on Sunday. I woke up, watched them all, then rewatched the first one again and sketched my flamingo page whilst I ate breakfast. Then off to add colour and details in stages… so by 12noon my first page was already done!
Here are the progress pics…
Super happy with this.
I then moved onto my title page. This time I used the neocolors as watercolour pans to create the letters and the splatters and a little washi tape to cover a splodge I messed up!
Then some pencil to add definition to the letters. Jobs a good’un!
Next lesson was Iris is more mixed media and some free drawing and so will cover what I made with that in another post.
And then the next lesson from Marieke was using papers and doodling… so what I did with that will follow on another day!
Safe to say I am super happy with the course so far. Challenging me to do something different and have fun with the limited supplies.