Yes it’s time for my friends and I to gather and play in our art journals. This month’s theme is GRATITUDE and I must admit I was struggling to think of images I might use so instead for this sample I used a letter stencil to put the words gratitude and thankful onto the page. Then started brayering paint and gesso over the top to get some colour onto the page.
Please note this sample goes seriously awry at one point and ends up being two pages combined into one… so sorry about the long post! But at least I remembered some process photos.
Next I grabbed some stencils and used them with baby wipes and gesso and paint to get some loose patterns. I also did a small amount of stamping with paint too. Then puddled some watery gesso on the top to blend back the colour a little. After a while I just blotted this away though.
My next step was to see how the Pebeo Fantasy Prisme paint worked on the journal surface. I dripped and puddled and drizzled some of the gold onto the page. I had to use the clips to keep the page flat and left it to dry overnight.
I also grabbed a digital stamp I had already printed out and watercoloured her with my watercolour pencils. I thought she looked like she might be saying thank you with those lovely flowers so she may end up on my page.
Later that evening I snuck back into the craft room for a sneak peek.
The prism effect has stuck in a few places but I wanted more so I dribbled on the red colour and left that… time for family tv time.
An hour later on our way up to brush teeth and go to bed I was back sneaking another look…
Happy to see Prisme effect forming in the red I switched off the light and let it do its thing!
This was the state of play the next morning.
Look at that gorgeous texture in the paint. Now be prepared as the next few pictures show how I went completely mad!
Yes … completely and utterly nuts. I just started doodling using my spectrum noir pencils and a black pen and the whole thing turned into a big old mess. So out came the white acrylic but because the pen was not waterproof what I ended up with was grey!
So then I put red paint on with a babywipe and then ended up with a very pink page. Next some stencilling with white paint. And stencilling with Dylusions white linen spray.
Still hating this. What to do with it?
Well I then left it alone and did some sketching in my journal after perusing the Pinterest board I had set up for the group. I ended up with this … but made an error…
I added in the beautiful later but got it in the wrong place so now the sentence doesn’t make sense. Grrrrrrrrr! This was done using spectrum noir pencils and black pen.
Then I thought… well I like the idea … why not cut the angel out and add it onto the other page…
This is looking better. It covers up most of the mess and yet there are plenty of layers visible.
Mod podge applied did make her look a little dirty as the pen wasn’t waterproof but I still like it. I also added some washi tape to provide another layer of interest. Now to add words and depth.
Plenty of Pitt Pens coming into play adding shading. I also added some stamping to add some more defined shapes.
Decided that the page needed some more white and that it might help the words stand out. Plus used a red paint liner for some sections.
Now happy with the page.
Phew! By now you may realise there is little of the Prisme paint visible… so that experiment was a little wasted but have had an idea on how it could be used. Must admit that I couldn’t be used in class anyway as the drying time would make it impossible… so never mind… plus art journals are for trying things out… and it goes to prove I can rescue things even when they go a little (quite a lot) wrong!
Will share the other samples (much quicker and easier than this) later today… so please pop back later.
P.S. well done on getting to the end of this post!