It’s the last of the circle journals for me to work in… the wonderful Hazel’s journal. I had two sides to decorate. So here is what I did for side 1.
I went for a distress oxide background blended onto white gesso. I wiped through a stencil and this left a pattern in which I doodled into with a black posca paint pen.
I also added some white gesso marks with a card and a lid and the same with black gesso. I also added some stamping with some number background stamps.
Next I added the focal part which was the fabric stamped elements which i had added sewing to.
I recoloured the face with some distress ink too so it blended better with the colour scheme.
Then some more doodling and I was done!
Will share the other side tomorrow.
Another circle journal to share with you today, this time for Tricia.
It is a lovely Kraft background to work on so I decided to go for a white gesso messy background.
In addition to the gesso dry brushing I added some stamping in white craft ink. I used a mixture of stamps from Hot Picks and this gave me a nice finish.
Next I started pulling papers and ribbons from my stash and putting them together as I fancied a layered piece and plenty of sewing. So out came the sewing machine.
Then I got the Neocolours out and added some shading and definition to the layers and added some details.
Next I started bringing together the focal images and started building up the pages. I decided to add images from the stamped fabric stash from our weekend with James Sharpe. I think Tricia (who I was lucky enough to sit opposite all weekend) would appreciate seeing me using them.
I also grabbed tags from an Artful Days kit and added them in, but before they made it into the final pages I added distress inks to change the colour a little. I also decided to add some more details to the layers with a bit of stamping and added some shimmery watercolour to add a different texture, oh and I moved things round a little on the final pages so that Albert was on the other side!
Next I added rub ons and sentiment stickers to the page. I also added some splattered black soot distress ink and some white pen marks.
And then I grabbed the black puffy paint and added some dots around the pages as embellishments. And I called it finished!
Love how eclectic this is and love that white background behind the pop of lime and teal colours.
Also love all the loose threads that come from me being a messy sewer and the loose edges to the layers. Those rub ons also work well in keeping the layers light and fresh.
Hopefully Tricia likes what I made too… and now it is time for me to start work on the next journal.
For Christmas I gave my parents and my auntie a calendar I had made with a postcard sized piece of art on each month… so today I am sharing their April artwork.
I wanted something a little crazy for this month… so went with the Hotpicks stamps and created a painty background instead.
Love these colours and the number stamps… and the doll and quote are such fun!
Much more mixed media than the other pieces in the calendar so far… hopefully they still like it!
This month the swap over at my UK swap group on Facebook the theme is “Back to Black”. I love the Amy Winehouse song and when I heard it on the radio I knew that it would be an interesting theme for the group.
So I made my coins mainly black with a tiny touch of blue and the white stamped image!
I used the mdf coins and coated it with black gesso. Then I die cut the swirly image from black cardstock and added that. Next I added stamping and embossing first in black and then with the Deep sea Baked Texture embossing powder (This is the touch of blue as it is translucent but blue tinted).
Then I added the main image which is a Paperartsy inage which I stamped in White pigment ink onto shrink plastic.
I finished with the sentiment stamped and heat embossed onto black cardstock and wink of Stella added for shimmer.
Finally I used black puffy paint to add dots around the edge of the coins.
This last photo shows all the shine and the dimension on these coins as the sun caught it perfectly!
Whilst I’ve been doing a massive clear out in the craft room I’ve come across a few random pieces that I decided to make into a card to break up the tidying task!
This one was a piece of tissue wrap already torn off and a fab arty piece I think I was gifted in a swap at some point.
I started by adding the tissue wrap to some mixed media cardstock cut into a 5×5 panel and dry brushing copper acrylic paint onto it. Then I used a Paperartsy stencil to add the block pattern down one side using some deco art fluid acrylics and a sponge.
Next I adhered the arty panel and then used the sewing machine to add texture around the edges.
Then I added stamping using a couple of Paperartsy Hot Picks stamps and black sparks paint.
I finished by rubbing the leftover sparks paint round the edge to frame it and then added it to a 7×7 card blank.
I love how this came out… elegant and funky all in one.
Carrying on with yesterday’s theme… today’s ATCs all have a sewing theme.
I used the button stamp again over the fluid acrylics for this, along with some sewing zig zags. Then I layered the stamped fabric piece onto some patterned paper and sewed it into place with a mixture of stitches.
This uses the Bronte sisters stamp on acetate and some different fabric backing (canvas and denim cotton) with Paperartsy fresco finish paints and some buttons and lots of hits of sewing to adhere the layers.
This time some different hot picks stamps with the dressmakers model and some text and lace. I started with a background of inks and then stamped the images onto vellum. I then coated the vellum with wax and let it cool.
I then used handsewing (cross stitch) to add more texture.
Love how all three and different but all the same theme.