My dear friend Darcy shared a colour chart book she had made quite a while ago and so I made one too at the time based on what she did, but unfortunately I did a rubbish job of the cover, and it wasn’t big enough and so I decided to make a new one a while ago which I never shared.
Anyway, as the new In Color inks have now arrived in my inky fingers it was time to add to my little colour book! And this then turned into a major colour swatch job! So be warned there are quite a lot of pics coming up… But hopefully you will like what you see and it may inspire you to create yourself something like this?!
When I get new SU inks, I stamp them on whisper white, and have used the Petite Petals stamps as they have the coordinating punch. I handwrite the colour names, with a family to a page (different flower design dependent on colour family) and then stick the little flower next to their name. I also add a little dot of glossy accents in the middle of the flower in case it changes how the colour looks.
So after sorting the new In colors (aren’t they scrummy?!) I thought … Why not do my Distress Inks. I have quite a lot of pages in the little sketchbook I am using for this task, and don’t intend to add in any other types of medium to this book… Just ink pads so the distress inks (I don’t have as many and am building my collection slowly) are now the back pages of the book. I used the order that is on the ranger colour swatch pdf and decided that I would use the butterfly from Blooming Marvellous for these inks as it is quite petite and a bit distressed as an image. Having a punch that works with the stamp also helps… Didn’t want to have to fussy cut a lot of the same image out… That would be depressing!
As you can see, I wrote the ink colours I don’t have in pencil and the ones I have in pen, just so I can keep them in the right order. I haven’t included any ‘special edition’ inks as I haven’t got any of those and think I would treat them like SU In Colors inks and have them as a separate family if I ever got any.
I was really pleased with this little piece of work. I didn’t stop there though!
Next up I decided to do colour swatches for my water colours … But what was the best way of doing this? Well stamping an image and coloring it in was what I thought… So out came Henry says stamps and a lot of colorful elephants arrived! They are all on ATC sized pieces of watercolour paper. Then I finally found a use for an accordion book I bought at least 9 years ago! … So here is my book of elephants. I have two watercolour pencil sets… So each set has a side each and each elephant is labelled so I know which colour relates to which pencil and set!
So now I have two little books which I can grab if I am looking for a specific colour, or to check if I have a specific colour before I duplicate in error and it was a fun couple of projects that have kept me out of trouble for a couple of hours each! I want to move on to document my other mediums too, but for the moment… This is my lot!