I decided that alongside the usual art journalling sessions with the gang I would also do some mixed media card classes so that they could use the techniques we’ve built up in the past 12 months to create some cards too.
This month I used the Stampin Up Balloon Celebrations set… yes I am all about this set at the moment! Two different classes in one week… I must be mad!
This is a gelatos based card. A few gelatos used to create the background, blending with my fingers. Then a stencil over the top and a baby wipe to remove some colour. I had also placed a post it note as a mask first so that some of it remained white.
I removed the post it note and used the gelatos on the stamps and then stamped those randomly. I love these random stamps in the set. Perfect for creating backgrounds.
I also used gelatos to stamp the balloons. Because the stamps are solid though you don’t get the best stamped image, but it picks up the colouring pattern which I quite liked.
A couple of the gelatos I used were metallic too, so there is some shine to them. I also added some stickles dots to add the bling.
The sentiment I used a SU marker to ink up so I could have the sentiment on top of each other rather than in a line.
I also did a bit of fun for the envelope…
Post it notes are perfect for this so you can maintain a clean space for the name and address but jazz it up for the postbox appeal!
This is a very grungey card! I used paint brayered onto it keeping it fairly dry so it picked up the texture of the cardstock. For this and gelatos I used Acrylic paper rather than smooth cardstock. It was perfect for this card in particular.
I stamped using paint too, and added lines using the edge of the acrylic block.
I did the same for the smaller piece of cardstock, and then edged it with the blue paint to make it stand out. The larger piece I edged with Sepia Archival ink.
I stamped the balloons onto another scrap of acrylic using the paint and then once they were dry I punched them out. I affixed the twine before adding the balloons. The sentiment was stamped and edged with the Sepia archival ink.
Love this grungey look… a bit more masculine than the others. I also played on the envelope adding a border to the base…
The next card I grabbed my favourite media… Brushos of course!
I used the brushos (scarlet red, cobalt blue, lemon, sea green) direct onto the craft mat in a line and then sprayed water. They puddled nicely and then I used an embossing folder to stamp the zig zag. I set the piece aside to dry then put another piece of cardstock into the ink puddles. Again I set that aside to dry.
I got my larger piece of cardstock out next and added some taps of Brushos around the edge (the same colours)and then added some sprays of water to activate the crystals. This then created the bottom layer. All of the three pieces then had to dry.
Once they were dry I stamped the ribbons for the balloons and the stars onto the zig zag piece. Next I punched the balloons out of the multi coloured smaller piece. I then stamped the outlines… easy to do with photopolymer stamps.
I layered the balloons onto the ribbons and then added the seniment and edged each piece with black ink.
Again a few dots of stickles finished it off…. and did a quick envelope… bit of doodling!
Final card… This time distress stains and distress micro glaze used to make the background.
I used water through the stencil to create the pattern and then once it was dry I stamped the dandelion seeds in archival ink. Quite a simple one to make but I think quite effective!
Once again, stickles are dotted around to add that bit of sparkle.
This is the envelope where I used the same technique but on a small patch in the corner.
So here are my cards for class… well to be fair none of my classes are really classes, more that they are relaxing fun time with friends… just what I needed.